Whether you have been diagnosed with diabetes, or are worried about developing diabetes due to your weight, eating habits, and/or genetics; the time to start lowering your blood sugar is now. Few know the simple things they can do in their everyday schedule-without the use of potentially harmful medications-to lower their blood sugar, stave off effects of diabetes, and improve their overall health. Here are some very helpful and convenient ways to lower your blood sugar, the natural way:
- Exercise: First and foremost-and you had to know it was going to be mentioned-regular exercise is absolutely crucial in improving bodily functions and overall health. It works to lower and regulate your blood sugar functions, while also improving metabolism and overall feelings of well-being. It’s very important to note, however though, that less exercise is needed than one would think to maintain a healthy system. Experts recommend at least 3-4 exercise sessions per week, of at least 25 minutes each workout. Finding an activity that you enjoy doing-instead of thinking of as a chore-will help motivate those typically inactive. Think a brisk walk, a swim, a game of golf, or something of the like.
- Diet: Of course, this should be second as a necessary, however, starting slow to improve your diet schedule and nutrition is where you should begin-especially if you have previously avoided healthy diets. Whether you are already diabetic or fear becoming one, regular smaller meals every 3-4 hours is best. By decreasing the intervals between meals, you are stopping your body from feeling starved which automatically rises your blood sugar to compensate, and thus regulating your body’s ability to produce the right amount of blood sugar as your body requires it. That is the first piece. Secondly, is the content of your meals. The main rules of thumb is to think smaller portions, higher instances of filling lean proteins, healthy carb vegetables/fruits, and less white flour carbs and high sugar items. The proteins will fill you up’ the healthy carbs keep your energy high, and the lower sugar items maintain a median level blood sugar.
- Cinnamon: Just a sprinkle of cinnamon in your cereal, yogurt, or as a supplement daily can help decrease your body’s blood sugar yo-yoing. Studies show that the spice’s effects long-term are positive in maintaining a healthy blood sugar level in your body.
- Decaf: In both teas and coffees, switching to decaf entirely or lowering your intake of caffeinated beverages, can help to normalize your out of control blood sugar levels. Caffeine is a huge culprit in elevating blood sugar levels.
- Chromium/Diabetic Vitamins: Chromium supplements have been proven to regulate blood sugar levels, by maximizing the body’s supply of already-produced chromium. If you are not diabetic, a simple daily chromium supplement will do; and if you are diabetic, ensuring that your daily vitamin has a good dose of chromium in it is vital in restoring healthy blood sugar levels.
- Limit Alcohol: Alcohol-which is mostly sugar once in your body-naturally works to disrupt your blood sugar levels. Drinking on a regular basis or ingesting a lot at one sitting, will dramatically raise your blood sugar levels; which necessarily sets you up for a blood sugar crash once the alcohol has worked its way through your body. Depending on the severity of your blood sugar problems, you may want to limit your consumption to a few glasses of wine a week; or in more serious cases as a diabetic, you may need to cut out alcohol altogether.
In conclusion, maintaining your blood sugar levels is instrumental in promoting overall health and life length. By subscribing to the previous health tips, you can greatly reduce your chances of blood sugar concerns; and if diabetic, improve your quality of life, living with the disease.
Tags: blood sugar, prevent diabetes, ways to lower blood sugar